HRC is uniquely equipped to provide a wide array of specialized psychological services for promoting health and wellness, and for serving clients with both acute and chronic illnesses. Preventive interventions can be tailored to encourage and promote healthy behaviors and lifestyle choices. Behaviors such as eating, exercise, sleep, smoking, and time-management are quite amenable to modification from a preventive, Health Psychology perspective. Psychological interventions can also be especially helpful when working with clients who have difficulty in engaging in a treatment plan, especially refractory symptoms, or co-existing problems with depression, anxiety, or other psychological issues. Behavioral medicine treatment is particularly useful for assistance in managing pain, coping with limitations associated with chronic illness, and dealing with functional disorders.
Some of the services available through HRC’s Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine Program are listed below. Practitioners use a variety of treatment modalities including cognitive-behavioral therapy, hypnotherapy, and other standard treatments.
- Smoking Cessation
- Weight Management
- Stress and Time Management
- Reducing Substance Dependence/Abuse
- Memory Assessment and Enhancement
- Coping with Trauma
- Coping with Chronic Illness (cardiac, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, etc.)
- Improving Medical Compliance
- Managing Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Managing Neurological and Cognitive Disorders
- Psychiatric Consultation for Medication Management